Replica Eastern Telegraph Company Lapel Badge/Brooch
A lovingly hand-crafted replica of the Eastern Telegraph Company lapel badge, an original of which can be seen in our museum collection.
The original badges were given to telegraph workers who wanted to demonstrate their commitment to the war effort between 1914-18.
Penzance-based jewellers St Justin Ltd. have recreated the badge, cast in Cornish bronze, made from Cornish tin and recycled copper. Bronze has the look of gold and is renowned for its strength and longevity which makes it fantastic for jewellery making. St Justin’s skilled craftspeople use an ancient technique called the lost wax process which has been used for centuries to make small sculptures and jewellery. The original master item is made in wax which is put into an investment mould and heated to a high temperature to melt the wax away, and leave a hollow mould in its place for the molten metal to be poured into. Once cast the bronze items are hand finished and polished with a thin layer of wax to give added protection and shine.
There are two options for the backing: either a brooch back, or an exact replica of the original item, complete with makers mark, which fits snugly into a lapel buttonhole. Both come in a St Justin presentation box.
Dimensions: 40 x 32 x 18mm